Before your visit
- Please wear comfortable clothing, that can be rolled up to the elbows and knees.
- Please avoid perfumes or aftershaves.
- It is best to avoid caffeine or other stimulants for a couple of hours before you have acupuncture.
- If you wish, you are welcome to bring earplugs. or eye masks.
During your visit
- If it is your first visit, please arrive early to fill out the intake form. You’ll have a short discussion with the acupuncturist, who will look at your tongue, feel your pulse, and suggest a treatment plan.
- If you are a returning patient, please leave your payment in your envelope, collect your things, and choose your favourite table or recliner.
- A significant component to the effectiveness of acupuncture is allowing the body to be in a deeply relaxed state where it can heal and rejuvenate. Please make yourself comfortable, and relax!
- Acupuncture treatments last about 40 minutes, and your total time in the clinic is usually about an hour. During this time, we will ask a few questions, begin your treatment, and return in about 40 minutes to take the needles out. If you need to leave by a certain time, please let your acupuncturist know.
After your visit
You are likely to feel more relaxed. You may feel sleepy, or you may have more energy than when you came in. Try to connect with this sense before you return to the “real world”. Stay present with that heightened sense of awareness, and carry it with you into your day.
Maintaining a quiet, healing space
The RCAC is a shared community space, and we aim to maintain a relaxed, healing environment. Although there is some exchange between you and the practitioner, most of it is done is hushed voices. If you feel you would like to speak to your practitioner in greater depth about an issue, please let them know, and we can arrange a time or a separate appointment.
Common sense responsibility
Please let us know if you may be pregnant, are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, as these conditions require specific modifications or extra caution.
Lateness and cancellations
If you are late for your appointment, that time slot will be released. You are still welcome to come in that day and we will see you as soon as a space becomes available.
Please give us 24 hours notice if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, so that we may open the space for someone else.